Thursday, August 25, 2011

Freddie Stroma talks end of Harry Potter films, costars, The Philosophers, Cinderella

While promoting the DVD release of his upcoming film, A Cinderella Story: Once Upon a Song, out September 6, 2011, actor Freddie Stroma discussed coming to grips with the finale of the Harry Potter series (in which he played Gryffindor Cormac McLaggen for the final three installments), and how much it impacted his costars Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint, and Emma Watson more than himself. Freddie also mentioned working with Bonnie Wright in the Indonesia-based film, The Philosophers, this past summer, and his friendship with his former Harry Potter costars.

Walk us through your last day of shooting for Harry Potter.
Freddie Stroma: Mine wasn’t too bad. I think for those guys–Dan, Emma, and Rupert–they started when they were nine or ten so it had formed their entire life. I wasn’t there when they had their final wrap day so I didn’t get to see that—probably for the best though because I’d be very emotional! It was okay but it was sad. I’ve spent definitely a long time with that lot and they’re such beautiful people.

How do you feel now that it’s over?
Freddie: It was definitely very sad leaving but at the same time it was nice to see now how the actors go on and do different things. It’s nice to see people moving on as well and being allowed to show off their other talents as well. I was sad when I watched the final one. I was like, “Oh, so this is over. It’s an end of an era.” I can’t think of any other scenario where you have such a big franchise. I mean, you’ve got eight films that have been going for over a decade. It’s just so strange to see it end, I guess.

Do you still keep in touch with anyone from the films?
Freddie: A little bit. I’ve been in America for a while so it’s been a little bit tough. I just did a movie with Bonnie Wright and we sort of hung out, which was very cool. I guess when I’m in England I’ll give the others a ring.


 You’re currently in A Cinderella Story: Once Upon a Song. Tell us a little bit about the project and what drew you to it.
Freddie: It’s modern telling of Cinderella. I guess it’s a comedy, which is definitely something that draws me to a project. Also, I was able to sing in it as well which was kind of fun. It was my first time going into the studio, recording a song, and having my own song—which is very cool.

What was the cast dynamic like?
Freddie: We were just goofing around all the time and making jokes that are slightly inappropriate! I guess we’ve had a few interviews where Lucy [Hale] and I may have played a game where in the interview we would try to get a different word in. So, in the interview we would try to say “sunglasses” or “hat” and whoever got to say it first was the winner–that’s what we did and it was really funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment